I, Stephanie (our rose garden intern), and Chrissy (our gardener) have been working so very hard since the start of the season, and in particular, the past few weeks, to try to get the rose garden beds ready for the festival next weekend! We have made enormous headway, and it is beginning to look like we may be able to get all of our goals that we set for ourselves met before next weekend! The work is, of course, always in progress, but some major projects were completed recently and we are definitely moving in the right direction.
Firstly, after a herculean effort on all of our behalf, we finally completed the work on one of the main garden parterres, the bed containing an historic magnolia surrounded by a bed of one of our signature historic roses, ‘Lafayette.’ The bed was, dare I say, a complete disaster, and was riddled with weeds, rogue roses growing hither and yon, and lacked any sort of definition and order. The photo below could hardly to justice to the true overhaul that this area received, though I am proud to say that clear delineations can now be made between the boxwood hedge, the U-shaped bed of the ‘Lafayette,’ and the wood-chipped area around the magnolia that was once unusable, now a great area for “story time” for young gardeners passing through.
We received some extra hands from a Germantown local, as well, for completion of a facelift on our Summer House, now a bright and cheerful white.
A fun new addition will soon be moving into the gardens, as Jeff Eckel, our caretaker and skilled beekeeper, moves some of his hives into a newly cleared corner of the garden where a declining holly once stood. Tomorrow I look forward to weeding and leveling the area with wood chips to make a new home for the hives, but until that happens, here are the before and after pictures of the newly evacuated space!
Finally, as always, I leave you with some beautiful blooms from two trees blooming in our woodlot…enjoy!